Wednesday, February 21, 2018

Sunburnt Black A Tutorial

Gigi is my NAMoPaiMo challenge project and here is how I did her.
 
 
 
For this tutorial I will be using earth pigments and Rembrant black pastel . I am doing the Sunburnt black on the Gigi resin and I will be doing a bay on the Breyer pony .

Start with prepped primed white model

 Liberally apply cypress umber warm earth pigment dust or blow off excess and seal I am using Krylon Matte to seal . I applied blue painters tape to her legs since she is planned to be a minimal tobiano .






Repeat until you achieve a nice red bay color . At this point my pony was very Grainy .



Optional Step to repair graininess.. I would normally do a layer and then seal with Krylon crystal clear gloss... But I apparently am out the Rustoleum Matte enamel did pretty good but I still prefer the Krylon. After this I walked away for an hour to let the rustoleum dry well.

 
 

Start layering black here I am using vine black earth pigments . I used a eraser pencil to add the initial dapples.

 
More Cypress umber warm and more vine black .
There was also some shading with Cypress umber dark .
Dapples were done again with a kneaded eraser on about every other layer of pigment.

 
Now I wanted to see where they were at so I blocked in the manes with black acrylic paint .
 
 
Here we have more shading using the Cypress warm earth pigments and the Rembrandt black pastel .  I did multiple layers of black pastel on Gigi with the kneaded eraser being used to bring back the brown tones any where I wanted them as needed
 

 
Here is where we are at the end of the body color. Now for what feels like a million layers of white paint for their markings.
 



1 comment:

  1. Rachel he looks really good. That's an unusual color. Thank you for all your help!

    ReplyDelete